Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Rings true

Lesson #5

I am never upset for the reason I think.

This lesson rang my bell. I actually heard this idea many years ago in relation to why I was arguing with my wife. I was told that "we don't argue over what is REALLY bothering us". We may think we're fighting about the budget or house cleaning (you know all those issues we married people fight about), but in actuality we're arguing about a comment made last week or something else that may not even be a conscious memory. I thought this was absurd the first time I heard it, but over time I came to realize that it was true. When I could stand back and reflect on the argument, it dawned on me that what was REALLY bothering me was something altogether different than what the argument was about.

With today's lesson, we're instructed to say...

I am not angry at ______ for the reason I think.
I am not worried about ______ for the reason I think.
I am not depressed about ______ for the reason I think
I am not afraid of ______ for the reason I think.

There are no small upsets. They are all equally disturbing to my peace of mind.

No comments: