Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A penny for my thoughts?

Lesson #4

These thoughts do not mean anything. They are like the things I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place].

One of the key statements in the instructions for today's lesson (to me) is... "you may find the suspension of judgment in connection with thoughts particularly difficult"... Amen (my comment). Again, like the preceding lessons I feel this is an exercise to help me confuse or break down the ego's grasp on my thinking. Another note that was important to me is to not distinguish between a "good" or "bad" thought, but apply the exercise to all thoughts without judgment.

In performing this exercise, I felt that it had a calming effect on me. When having a "bad" thought and stating that it does not mean anything, there was a small feeling of relief - or acceptance - or something unexplainable. Conversely, when having a "good" thought and saying that it does not mean anything, I felt that as nice as this thought is, it means nothing compared to what good feels like in the presence of God. Am I judging these thoughts? Probably. Hey, I'm new at this...

No comments: