Sunday, June 11, 2006

The blind leading the blind

I remember an old saw that goes something like this, "you never really learn something until you try to teach it to someone".

I've experience that a number of times in my life when asked to talk about a topic I "knew", or make a presentation for business... it was during the preparation phase that I usually realized I didn't really know my topic and thus - additional research and my presentation to the group "taught me" more about the subject.

I was inspired to take that same approach to learning the Course. Yesterday morning I chose to begin at lesson #1 and study a new lesson every day, and I will teach what I learn as I proceed! Of course, I know nothing about the Course except what I have shared so far in this blog. So without further ado, I begin with Lesson #1 from yesterday and Lesson #2 for today. I'm combining the two lessons because they are similar.

Lesson #1:

Nothing I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place] means anything.

I am instructed to view my surroundings and apply this statement to whatever I see. i.e. This table does not mean anything.... Etc.

Lesson #2:

I have given everything I see in this room (on this street, from this window, in this place) all the meaning that it has for me.

What does this mean to me? I believe these lessons are designed to get me thinking about the mistake in my logic; that nothing is real, and my ego made all this up to support the grand story. Obviously, at this stage I have difficulty "believing" that the trees outside my window do not exist. I know that if one fell on me it would hurt like hell. This exercise is probably a way to begin chipping away at the amour of my ego in preparation for the next revelation that will, at first reading, sound equally absurd. Now do you understand? Good, because I do not - but I promise to continue trying.

Since you don't really exist, and your opinion of me means nothing, my ramblings here are of no importance to you. However, if in reading my "teachings", you have a comment that helps to clarify or explain what I've stated, please add your comments. Now isn't that a strange request??? I state that you don't exist, yet I'm asking for your help. Oh yeah this is going to be interesting...

No comments: